Mediation offers many advantages over going to court and in some cases is a required path before litigation. Mediation has been shown to be effective in settling disputes in a speedy and confidential manner.
A dispute that might have stretched over months can be settled in a short timescale with the help of skilled mediation. Mediation helps people to rebuild their relationships or move on with their lives.
What follows are some of the prime benefits of going through mediation
1. Mediation is much less costly than going to court. Generally speaking mediators charge by the hour.
2. Family mediation concerning disputes over children or finances often takes place over several one or two-hour sessions, other branches of mediation can take one or two longer sessions. Some commercial mediation takes place over a whole day or several days.
3. Mediation is far quicker than going to court, if you’re self-employed your time away from work will be reduced saving you money. Court cases can take months to be listed for hearing and sometimes years to come to conclusion.
4. Mediation as a process is held in private whereas court proceedings can be the subject of media attention.
5. Mediation allows both parties to express their opinions themselves, rather than having to go through their lawyer. Both sides can ‘tell their story’. This leads to a sense of empowerment.
6. The mediator assists and encourages both parties to work together to agree an outcome they can both live with. This collaboration may provide benefits further down the line for both parties.
7. A mediator is usually selected by both parties, who can check the mediator’s background and experience. If you are going to court, you will have no choice as to the judge who will ultimately decide the outcome of litigation.